Our Ultimate CBD Guide: CBD 101
Welcome to Glacier Organics CBD guide to help educate you and answer any questions you may have. Although CBD and Hemp are growing in popularity, it can be intimidating to a beginner. Our CBD guide will help answer all of your questions and concerns to help you confidently move forward on your CBD health and wellness journey.
Here are a few topics we will discuss:
- What is CBD?
- How is CBD processed from Hemp to CBD product?
- Benefits of CBD
- What is the Endocannabinoid System
- What are the different types of CBD?
- CBD quality: Does it matter?
- Effects of CBD: Negative and positive
- What are popular CBD products?
- How do I use CBD products?
- Finding quality, trusted products
- CBD 101
What is CBD?
“CBD” is the acronym used to describe Cannabidiol. CBD is just one of over 100 phytocannabinoids in the cannabis plant. There are two main types of cannabis plants that are cultivated for human consumption, Cannabis sativa and Cannabis indica. A cannabinoid is a chemical compound that acts on receptors in the endocannabinoid system, also called the ECS. Both hemp and marijuana are part of the cannabis sativa plants meaning they both have cannabinoids.
This can cause confusion between hemp and marijuana since they look similar when they are grown. Even though they are from the same family of plant species, they are not similar in their genetic construction. Hemp plants contain a lot of CBD but not enough THC to give you a psychoactive effect or make you experience a “high feeling”. Hemp is not marijuana, although it does contain some cannabinoids, it has small trace amounts of THC and must contain less that 0.03% to be legal as a CBD product.
CBD Guide: CBD 101
To summarize, Cannabidiol (CBD) is a compound produced by the cannabis plant. It is quickly growing in popularity to help improve health conditions and create an overall health and wellness benefit. CBD is finding its way into many different types of products from CBD tinctures, oils, edibles, creams, and well as a cosmetics. CBD is also becoming popular with pet owners who wish to increase the health and wellness of the dogs and cats.
How is CBD processed from Hemp to a CBD product?
The Hemp Farming Act of 2018 removed hemp from the list of controlled substances and declared an agricultural commodity with no grow restrictions for farmers. As a result, hemp is farmed throughout the US in abundance. Glacier Organics high quality hemp is grown and harvested in many states such as Montana, Colorado, Kentucky using following the most strict guidelines.
Once the hemp is harvested and dried, it is milled into coarse powder before extraction and purification. Next we need to separate the hemp extract using a supercritical CO2 process for extraction. Removing THC is one of the most important steps to getting a high quality broad spectrum CBD product. Using third party testing, we are able to show customers our products are THC free. Once our third party testing results pass all of our industry standards, we create our high quality CBD products.
What are the major benefits of CBD?
CBD is still a new phenomenon for the mainstream market and studies are still early in the process. However, CBD is proving to have many positive benefits. In this section, we will take a look at some of the reasons why CBD is being studied and how its effects are proving to be immensely beneficial.
CBD’s Effect On Your Mood
CBD is often used to help support emotional stability. Research is showing that CBD has an effect on your ECS (Endocannabinoid System) and how it reacts with your serotonin levels already in your body. Serotonin is often referred to as the “happy molecule” as it can improve your mood.
If your mood is low or down, you may be dealing with lower amounts of serotonin. An increase can help improve your mood or feelings of well-being. A balanced endocannabinoid system is a happy endocannabinoid system!
CBD’s Effect On Your Sleep
Getting a good night’s sleep is one of the most important things you can do to improve your health and wellness. Lack of sleep or troubles sleeping is a major issue for many people and can result in a bad mood or lack of energy the next day. CBD is proving to show it can help create a normal, healthy sleep cycle to ensure you roll out of bed feeling fresh and energized each morning.
CBD’s Benefit For Pain
Do you have trouble with chronic pain, inflammation, or soreness from a hard workout? If so, you’ll be happy to learn that CBD is effective for managing these symptoms. CBD can be a natural alternative for pain management instead of relying on prescription medications and opioids that can be habit forming and cause negative side effects.
CBD is showing to have mostly positive side effects treating muscle aches and pains, arthritis, inflammation, and chronic pain.
CBD’s Effect On Anxiety
CBD if often used to help with symptoms of anxiety. Although we are still early in the research process, studies have shown that CBD can affect the serotonin levels in your brain to help reduce symptoms of anxiety and increase your mood.
CBD’s Effect On Skin Care
CBD has anti-inflammatory properties that are shown to be useful in reducing symptoms of skin conditions such as eczema, dermatitis, and more. Taking CBD oil or using a CBD cream can help soothe your skin and reduce the appearance of irritation on your skin.
What is the Endocannabinoid System (ECS)?
The ECS is a biological system that exists and is active in your body even when CBD is not being used. Your ECS has 3 core components: endocannabinoids, receptors, and enzymes and keep your internal functions operating smoothly. Research has link the ECS to the following:
- Skin and Muscle function
Many of these functions contribute to homeostasis in the body referring to the stability of your internal environment. Many experts believe that maintaining homeostasis is the main role of the endocannabinoid system.
Different Types of CBD
What does Broad Spectrum CBD mean?
Broad Spectrum CBD is similar to full spectrum with one major difference…no THC. Broad Spectrum CBD is processed from the hemp plant and retains all of the natural terpenes and other compounds except THC. This is ideal for customers that want NO THC in their cbd products.
What does Full Spectrum CBD mean?
Earlier we discussed the process of making CBD from growing the hemp to processing the product. Full Spectrum CBD hemp extract contains terpenes and all compounds including THC. Because it retains all natural compounds in the hemp plant, it is referred to as full spectrum. CBD has to have less than 0.03% to be legal.
What is CBD Isolate?
CBD can also be isolated to form pure CBD known as CBD isolate. In pure form or at room temperature, cannabinoids are crystalized. These pure cannabinoids are colorless and odorless. CBD isolate can be used as an additive or directly ingested. Since it is an isolate, it is missing beneficial compounds, terpentens, and other cannabinoids found in hemp plants.
Does The Quality Of CBD Matter?
With CBD growing in popularity over the past few years, there are so many brands and products on the market to choose from. How do you know if the product you are buying is quality? Do you need a quality product to get the most benefit?
Quality CBD Products
Not all CBD is created equal. Finding a quality CBD product is important to getting the most benefits to help your health and wellness. Here are some tips to finding a quality brand and product for you:
- Price: Medium to higher priced CBD products may seem expensive but there is a reason for that. Most likely, they are following the highest quality standards to produce a superior product.
- Extraction Method: Quality CBD will use CO2 extractions methods. This process may be more expensive but provides the highest quality CBD oil.
- Third Party Testing: Any brand that provides third party testing is going out of their way to provide high customer service and satisfaction. They are showing an analysis of their products tested by a third party vendor.
- Hemp Farming: The quality of hemp matters. Make sure the brand you choose follows the highest standards for hemp farming including using no pesticides or chemicals.
Purchase Place: Know where you are purchasing your CBD products. Quality products are generally found in dispensaries or online directly from the brand. Stay away from buying CBD in gas stations or convenience stores.
Side Effects Of CBD
CBD is a natural alternative to pharmaceutical drugs and options for many conditions from anxiety, sleep disorders, and pain management. Pharmaceutical drugs are developed to target specific bodily systems but can be known to be addictive and provide unwanted adverse side effects. Since CBD is natural, it is not as exacting when it comes to side effects and varies from person to person.
In order to determine side effects using CBD, we need to look at examples of how they are different from person to person. CBD is used to help some customers get a good night’s rest to feel energized and refreshed the next day while some users experience drowsiness during the day with CBD use. If you want to feel awake during the day, as most people do, you would be experiencing an unwanted side effect of drowsiness.
The majority of people don’t experience negative side effects with CBD use. However, other than drowsiness, some customers have experienced dry mount, fatigue, and lack of appetite.
Popular CBD Products
There are a variety of CBD products and brands available containing different types of CBD. Here is a list of popular CBD products:
- CBD Tincture (Full or Broad Spectrum): CBD mixed with an alcohol base ingested with a dropper orally. This is one of the most popular products as it is easy to use and generally has an additive such as mint, orange, or other flavors to make it taste delicious.
- CBD Hemp Pain Cream: Topicals are a popular product when using CBD for pain relief or sore muscles. CBD mixed with a cooling gel helps soothe muscles after a hard workout or recovery from an injury. The cream can be applied directly to the muscle or joint multiple times a day.
- Topicals (CBD Salve): CBD salves are similar to pain creams but are more water based and applied as a paste. This helps with pain relief and also acts as a skin care cream to help treat skin conditions or irritations.
- CBD Gummies: Gummies generally have a lower dosage of CBD but provide the tastiest way to ingest CBD. Similar in taste to nutrient gummies, it provides a flavorful way to chew your CBD in and easy to use gelatin.
- CBD Softgels: Capsules are a popular CBD product for a couple different reasons. Most people are used to taking pills daily so ingesting a capsule with CBD can be incorporated into your daily routine. Another advantage to taking CBD softgels are additives such as melatonin for increased sleep or immune formulas to help boost your immune system.
How Do I Use CBD Products?
CBD can be ingested in many different ways. The most optimal and common way is using CBD oil tinctures. Use the dropper in the bottle to choose your desired amount and squeeze it under your tongue, letting it sit for 60 seconds. This is the most effective way for your body to absorb CBD directly into your bloodstream. If you don’t enjoy the taste of CBD tinctures, you can also add it to your morning coffee or a smoothie.
CBD Tinctures and oil based products aren’t for everybody. Whether it is the taste or putting a liquid product under your tongue, CBD users are looking for other methods. Here are a few additional ways to use CBD:
- CBD gummies are gelatin, edible products with flavors to make for an easy, chewable way to use CBD.
- Softgels are a popular way to take CBD. Most people are accustomed to taking pills daily so it can be incorporated into their daily routine.
- CBD Pain Creams or Salves are topicals that you apply directly to the affected area on your body.
Finding Quality CBD Products
A theme you may be starting to notice is quality CBD is important to gaining the best results. Not all CBD is created equal and buying a cheap CBD product can ruin your experience. Earlier in the CBD guide, we discussed what qualities a good CBD product should have from ingredients, third party testing, price, and extraction methods. The next question is, where do I find quality products:
- CBD Brands Online: Find quality, reputable brands using the quality CBD product criteria we discussed. Make sure you look at customer reviews and ask questions before purchasing.
- Local Dispensaries: Your local medical marjuiana or CBD dispensaries not only carry high end brands and quality products, but their staff members will be knowledgeable on which product would be a good fit for you.
CBD 101: What you need to know
- Cannabidiol (CBD) – A common cannabinoid produced by the cannabis/hemp plant that is non-psychotropic (it does not get you high).
- Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)(Delta(9) – The main psychoactive compound in marijuana that gives users a feeling of euphoria or high.
- Cannabigerol (CBG) — This non-psychoactive compound supports mood and joint/ muscle function.
- Cannabinol (CBN) — This compound is believed to help support joint/muscle function along with being a sleep aid.
- Delta(8) THC — Very Similar to delta(9)-THC but less psychoactive and may support a relaxed, calm mood.
- Terpenes – hydrocarbon compounds that are produced by the cannabis plant. The hemp plant is the most terpene dense plant currently known. Terpenes are safe for consumption by the FDA and are used in a variety of food products.
- Bioavailability – The degree and rate at which a substance, CBD, is absorbed into your bloodstream.
- CB1 & CB2 Receptors – Receptors that are found in the human body that mediate the level and effects of cannabinoids.
- Certificate of Analysis – An accredited laboratory certificate or document with the amount of cannabinoids and ingredients in a CBD product. This proof of analysis exists to benefit the customer and guarantees quality assurance and quality of product to make a company reputable.
- Entourage Effect – This phenomenon occurs when many components in the cannabis plant interact together with the human body to produce an even stronger effect than the compound has on its own.
Thanks for reading! We know you may still have CBD related questions so feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com. Let us help guide you through the CBD world and help make your experience the best! Try our products by using code: WELLNESS25 for 25% off your initial purchase.